Vintage touches for modern living
Much like accessorising your clothes to influence your personal style; accessorising your home with vintage goodies can really accentuate your tastes. Moreover, it’s not one look or another; you can create harmony with just a few of Von’s helpful tips:
1. There are many, MANY uses for beautiful, old wooden crates. Consider them wall mounted to be used as shelves, as a shoe rack for the entrance way, toy storage facility in the playroom, plant pots for the garden; there are endless opportunities!
3 Random chairs painted or not, look gloriously retro around an old farmhouse table.
4. The old enamel bread bins in great nick can be used as per its purpose. Alternatively, use them to store potatoes. Regardless of their use, they look beautiful in pride of place on the worktops.
5. Transformational fabrics- vintage fabrics are just darling for blinds, particularly ideal for decorative purposes like in the kitchen. Transform old curtains into scatter cushions, perfect for the lounge, conservatory, guest rooms and bedrooms or even create little scented pillows for draws and cupboards.
6. Old vintage gold or wooden frames used as chalkboards or notice boards; ideal for the entrance way, kitchen and/or office
7. Consider old milk crates as wine holders- store in the garage to keep extra cold and makes it super easy to transport in and out of the house- you never know, you could always leave the empties outside, maybe the milkman will refill for you (wishful thinking I realise!)
8. Use old pine; open shelving in the kitchen; kitchenware and cookbooks look beautiful out in the open. Alternatively, your cupboards could be situated beneath and the shelving used as open plate racks above.
10. Collect your favourite items and display them in groups. Use old frames and mirrors to create a ‘framed’ wall
12. Use enamel jugs as vases to sit in the middle of your dining table or in the kitchen window- a great excuse to treat yourself to some flowers
Don’t be afraid; always, ALWAYS buy what you like, not whether if it will go with everything- because as a rule, if you’ve chose it, it WILL go!
Visit Von’s at Vintage Vons, Baker Street, Weston super Mare.
Aside the selection of wonderful vintage goodies in store, Von can offer restoration services for your vintage goodies which are in need of a little TLC, interior design advice, aid in sourcing the specific vintage items you’re looking for and offer general advice on vintage homewares.
Photographs provided by Matthew Smith.