It’s getting to that time of year where I want to eat warm, comforting food. And nothing is more nourishing for the soul than a bowl of soup. This recipe was conjured from a trip to New York; where I had a soup, by the same name, at The Plaza hotel’s food court. It was a perfect meal on a cold winters day and I enjoyed it so much that I had to recreate it. I dare say it tastes the same and is unbelievably scrummy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Makes approximately 4 portions.
- 1litre of vegetable stock
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- black pepper and sea salt
- Turn the oven on to 180ºC (convert as applicable).
- Peel and chop the butternut squash and remove all seeds; peel and chop the potatoes and onion.
- Add a dash of olive oil (enough to coat the onions) to a large saucepan and allow to warm, add the onions and fry off until lightly brown.
- Add in the butternut squash and the potatoes and fry off for 5 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable stock, nutmeg, a pinch of salt and good dose of black pepper and bring to the boil. Once boiled, simmer for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, line a roasting tray with baking parchment and pour in the pumpkin seeds and coat in olive oil and sea salt. Place in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown, turning regularly.
- Drain the majority of the liquid from the pan (you’ll want at least a ladle spoon of liquid left) and puree with a blender.
- Pour into bowls and reheat if necessary. To serve, sprinkle over a tablespoon of pumpkin seeds and a crack of black pepper.
You can experiment with other flavours on your pumpkin seeds; try adding chilly flakes to pack a punch! Want to add a little more vegetables to up your intake of your 5 a day? We’d recommend adding a few carrots in with it.
Want to take some to work? We really love the Sistema soup pots. They’re so convenient; you just pop the steam lid and pop in the microwave for 3 minutes, no mess, no fuss. Please note this is an affiliate link and we do make a small commission on any purchases. However, this is the best deal we’ve found!