The latest vegetarian recipe from The Aubergine Cookbook (by Helen Thomas) we’ve hand-picked for you is the tofu and aubergine stir-fry. Ready in just 30 minutes, this recipe is simple to do, delicious and is sure to delight the whole family. Helen has once again shared some of her expert tips on creating a recipe just for you. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Serves 4 | Preparation time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 250g/9oz marinated tofu, cubed
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 red chilli, shredded
- 2.5cm/1inch piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and diced
- 8 baby aubergines, quartered
- 90ml/3 floz vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp cornflour, plus 2 tbsp cold water to mix
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- boiled rice or noodles to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat and stir-fry the tofu for 4-5 minutes until golden. Remove and set aside
- Add the spring onions, chilli and ginger and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the aubergines and cook for 2-3 minutes, then reduce the heat to low and add the stock. Cook gently for about 10 minutes until the aubergines soften and the liquid reduces.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar and mirin and increase the heat to medium. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the cornflour mix. Stir gently for 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens. Stir in the tofu and the lime juice, and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top.
- Divide among 4 serving bowls and service immediately with rice or noodles.
- Use fresh firm tofu instead of marinated
- Add a teaspoon of brown sugar
- Add some pak choi or baby spinach
- If you can’t get baby aubergines, cut a large aubergine into batons
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander before serving.