If you’re looking for an effortless meal that is packed full of vitamins and minerals, this sausage and lentil hotpot recipe is one for you. With less than 10 minutes preparation required, this sausage and lentil hotpot is a perfect autumns dish that features lots of delicious and nourishing kale. Known as a superfood, boosting your intake of kale during the autumn winter months can help to prepare your immune system for fighting and even preventing cold and flu symptoms.
A sausage hotpot is the perfect, and easy alternative to a roast dinner on a Sunday too.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
454g pack essential Waitrose pork sausages
1 medium onion, finally chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 leek, sliced
1 large carrot, cubed
1 tsp ground cumin
2 bay leaves
200g Waitrose wholesome lentils
200g curly kale or cavolo nero, shredded
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the sausages and fry for 15 minutes until browned. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onion, garlic, leek and carrot to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the cumin, bay leaves and lentils along with 1-1.25 litres water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick and soupy and the lentils are almost tender.
- Stir in the kale or shredded cavolo nero, return the sausages to the pan, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- Discard the bay leaves and season to taste. Serve in warmed bowls.
Cook’s tips: Add 200g essential Waitrose frozen butternut squash with the kale. For added flavour replace the water with stock.
Thank you to Waitrose for sharing this recipe with us. More than 5,000 recipes can be found via their recipes page: www.waitrose.com/recipes.