We’ll be definitely be making this delicious treat this weekend! Bake-off, eat your heart out!
Preparation time:15 minutes
Cooking time:1 hour 30 minutes
Total time:1 hour 45 minutes
300g caster sugar
275g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
150ml Marsala wine
4 Waitrose 1 Perfectly Ripe Amber Blush Peaches, stoned and each cut into 8 wedges
200g self-raising flour
60g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
Half fat crème fraîche, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Butter and base line a 23cm loose bottomed cake tin and place on a baking tray to catch any syrup that may leak out.
- Place 50g caster sugar, 25g butter and the Marsala in a small pan and bubble gently for 15 minutes until reduced to a thick syrup. Carefully pour half the syrup into the base of the tin.
- Arrange the peach wedges in the base of the tin — they should fit snugly in a single layer.
- Beat together the remaining 250g sugar, 250g butter, flour, almonds, baking powder, vanilla and eggs until smooth. Spoon the mixture over the peaches and level off the surface. Bake for 60–70 minutes until set (cover with foil halfway through if it starts to get a little too dark).
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes then remove from the tin and carefully invert onto a serving plate. Gently warm the remaining syrup and brush over the cake. Slice and serve warm with crème fraîche.