Hello April. We’ve been waiting a long time for you. Although springtime actually begins in March, April is when we mostly get a glimpse of that summer warmth. We’ve waited a long time for you.
So as we welcome a new, fabulous, month, we also welcome a new seasonal fruit and vegetable to our repertoire. Our vegetable of the month is the cauliflower. As a cruciferous vegetable like broccoli, the cauliflower is associated with lowering the risk of some cancers and, like most vegetables, cauliflowers are high in vitamins and minerals and aids in detoxification. What’s more, you can eat the vegetable as a whole when fresh- the florets and leaves!
1 cauliflower, broken into small florets
100g frozen peas
6 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
Bunch salad onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp toasted cumin seeds, lightly crushed
25g white breadcrumbs
Olive oil spray
50g essential Waitrose Greek Light Salad Cheese, crumbled
- Cook the cauliflower in a pan of boiling water for 8-10 minutes until just tender, adding the peas for the last minute. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs then stir in the salad onions, cumin and breadcrumbs. Stir in the cooked cauliflower and peas.
- Lightly spray a 22cm non-stick frying pan with oil and pour in the egg mixture. Cook on the lowest heat for 12 minutes until almost set then scatter over the cheese.
- Preheat the grill to medium and cook the top of the frittata for 4–5 minutes (make sure the pan handle doesn’t get too hot) until golden and completely cooked all the way through.
- Slip the frittata out of the pan and onto a board. Cut into wedges and serve.
Nutrition 1097kJ/263kcals/14.9g fat/4.5g saturated fat/11g carbohydrate/4.2g sugars/3.7g fibre/21.1g protein/0.7g salt/54mg vitamin C/150µg folic acid per serving
This recipe was provided by Waitrose. They’ve thousands more on their recipe site, it’s well worth taking a look if you need more inspiration.