Although this recipe doesn’t initially contain our key ingredient, you can transform it into a vegetarian alternative and include sweet potato! You don’t have to stick to the recipe rules!
2 tbsp Meridian Organic Unrefined Sunflower Oil
2 organic onions, finely sliced
2 organic cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp Waitrose Organic Curry Powder
1 tsp Waitrose Organic Whole Cumin
1 pack Waitrose Organic British Free Range Fresh Mini Chicken Fillets
500ml hot Kallo Organic Chicken Stock
175g organic dried red lentils
6 tbsp Alpro Soya Organic Plain Dairy Free Alternative To Yogurt (find in the chiller cabinet with yogurts)
50g Waitrose Organic Cashews, unsalted, to garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Cook for 8-10 minutes over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in the garlic and spices, and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the remaining oil and the chicken, and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until coated in the spice mixture. Stir in the stock and lentils, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Stir in the soya yogurt and cover, then simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick frying pan and toast the cashew nuts for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly until they are golden brown in colour.
- Spoon the curry into individual bowls with basmati rice, and top with the toasted cashew nuts.
For a vegetarian alternative, at Step 2, swap the chicken for chopped vegetables such as cauliflower, sweet potato or butternut squash and cook until tender. You could also stir in organic spinach when you add the soya.
Thanks Waitrose for this delicious and healthy curry recipe. If you’re looking for more ideas, check out their recipes page.