This month we’re experimenting with broccoli; our favourite of the green vegetables. It goes with the best meals; stir fries, roast dinners, pizza (yes we love it as a pizza topping), roasted veg, soups and more. Not only is it so versatile and extremely delicious but it’s incredibly good for you too- of course we all know that.
Here’s five benefits to increasing your broccoli consumption:
- It can reduce cholesterol (fats found in your blood) which will in turn help with blood pressure
- 100g of broccoli contains 107% of Vitamin C which helps cells to heal and repair, increase collagen production (helping us stay younger for longer), helps your immune system to fight off coughs and colds and is a potent antioxidant which helps battle free radicals.
- 100g of broccoli also contains 98% of Vitamin K, the vitamin that supports Calcium in strengthening bones and teeth and is even said to fight against arthritis and osteoporosis. In addition to this, Vitamin K aids the body’s ability to form blood clots which helps wounds to heal.
- It’s suggested that consumption of broccoli can help prevent some forms of cancer because of the chemicals/compounds the vegetable releases on eating it. It’s said that the chemicals fight to protect healthy cells from damage (which can lead to cancer)
- Broccoli is fantastic for digestion. Not only is a good source of fibre which helps keep us regular and our bodies happy and free of toxins but it also aids the bacteria in our stomachs, which digests the food, by ensuring it remains at optimum levels and clears away bad bacteria which can lead to stomach upset.
Try out this oriental recipe to help you jump on the broccoli bandwagon. It’s a recipe that’s delicious, healthy and satisfying. Winner all round.
Preparation time:15 minutes + 20 minutes marinating
Cooking time:10 minutes
Total time:45 minutes
100ml Cooks’ Ingredients Hoisin Sauce
1 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp rice wine
400g essential Waitrose British Pork Fillet
220g pack Waitrose Tenderstem Broccoli Spears, trimmed
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 x 300g packs fresh Waitrose Rice Noodles, cooked according to pack instructions, to serve
Handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped, to serve
- Mix the hoisin sauce, honey and rice wine together in a shallow dish to make the char siu sauce. Cut the pork into thin slices and add them to the sauce, coating well. Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli in boiling salted water for 2–3 minutes until just tender. Drain and refresh under cold water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Remove the pork slices from the char siu sauce, scraping off any excess. Set the sauce aside. Add the pork slices to the pan and cook for 1–2 minutes each side until cooked through with no pink meat.
- Add the broccoli and stir-fry for another minute to heat through. Pour in the reserved sauce, bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Divide the cooked rice noodles between 4 bowls and top with the char siu pork and broccoli. Scatter with coriander leaves to serve.
Cook’s tip: If you have some dry sherry in the cupboard, use it instead of the rice wine to make a slightly sweeter sauce.
Thanks for supplying the recipe Waitrose!