Another gorgeous M&S recipe. There is nothing more comforting on an Autumnal day than the smell of something delicious baking in the oven. This recipe just ticks all the boxes.
- 125g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g ground almonds
- 100ml buttermilk
- 4 plums, halved, stoned and very thinly sliced
- Single cream, to serve
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius / 375 degrees Fahrenheit / gas 5 (170 degrees Celsius for fan ovens). Butter a 20cm cake tin and dust with a little flour, shaking out the excess. Reserve 1 tbsp sugar, and beat the rest with the butter in a large bowl, until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, and fold into the mixture with the ground almonds. Gently stir in the buttermilk, then spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Arrange the plums on top in a single layer and sprinkle over the remaining sugar. Bake for 50 – 55 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve with fresh cream.
301 calories, 17.5g fat (6.5g saturated), 33.5g carbohydrates, 23.7g sugar, 1.2g fibre, 4.3g protein, 0.35g salt