Healthy eating is tough in the Winter when what you want is hot, stodgy, heartwarming food. This quick warm salad of beetroot, creamy goat’s cheese (though we like to swap this out for feta!) and fine textured lentils makes for a substantial lunch, will help you to keep on track with healthy eating and satisfies the need for hot food. Win-win!
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Total time : 20 minutes
2 x 250g packs Waitrose Organic Cooked Beetroot, drained
1 tbsp Waitrose Organic Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp Waitrose Organic Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
400g Lentils, rinsed
4 tbsp Duchy Originals Organic Honey & Mustard Vinaigrette
55g bag Waitrose Organic Rocket
1 bag Watercress, washed and tough stems removed
100g pack Pant-Ysgawn Farm Organic Goat’s Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
- Rinse the lentils under cold water. With fresh water, enough to cover the lentils in a pan, bring to the boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut each beetroot into 4 wedges, place in a large roasting tin, drizzle with the oil and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes, until the beetroot wedges are warmed through.
- Tip the lentils into a bowl, add the warm beetroot then spoon over the vinaigrette dressing. Mix well.
- Divide the rocket and watercress between 4 plates and arrange the lentils and beetroot on top. Crumble the cheese over and serve immediately.
Waitrose’s recipe site has plenty more inspiration when it comes to hot, delicious salads. It’s well worth a look!