Just starting to think about New Year plans? It’s not too late to put on a party! Below we share game ideas and food options to allow you to throw together a last minute but epic new years’ party!
Arm yourself with a few short games to give structure to your evening. They provide great ice-breakers to get everyone gearing for the new year and help guests to bond if they’re not familiar with each other. You’re guaranteed to enjoy a few shared laughs too.
So long 2018
Within the first hour of your event, as an introduction to the evening over welcome drinks, get everyone to fill out the following slips and put them into a bowl:
- Worst thing about 2018
- Best thing about 2018
Once everyone has arrived, pull them out randomly and read aloud. This game is open to some joke responses which is sure to liven things up or shared touching moments you’ve shared over the past year.
Wishes for 2019
In addition to the above, get them to complete a wish for 2019
- What do you want to happen most in 2019?
Pull these and read them out randomly following the chimes of the new year bell.
Snap! Movies & Faces
You can make this a visual or word game – or a bit of both! You want to your guests/players to match the movie star to the movie they were in. Sounds simple right? But you throw in a couple of red herrings, there is only one right answer but will take them a while to guess it. Stick a time limit on it, encourage them to work together and see what they come up with. If you’ve a few coming, split everyone into two teams and see what they come up with. Our suggestions below:
- Chris Pratt
- Benedict Cumberbatch
- Jennifer Lawrence
- Zac Efron
- Hugh Jackman
- Anne Hathaway
- Eddie Redmane
- Johnny Depp
- Helena Bonham Carter
- Emily Blunt
Movies they’re in/match with:
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Greatest Showman
- Les Miserables
- Ocean’s Eight
- Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindewald
- Into the Woods
- Alice Through the Looking Glass
- Sherlock Gnomes
Run a relaxed trivia quiz, just a quick fire, 10-20 question, single round to get everyone to recall events that have occurred over the past year. Take our following questions (you’ll have to look the answers up for yourself, we’re running this event too!):
- Biggest grossing movie of the year
- Biggest album of 2018
- World cup final score
- Which country became the first to legalise cannabis for recreational use?
- Women were officially allowed to drive in which country (the last in the world to do so)?
- Who was the leading goals scorer at the 2018 FIFA world cup?
- Who was the only British player to win a title at any of the Grand Slam tennis events in 2018?
- Which British actress plays Mary Poppins in Mary Poppins Returns?
- Tom Hardy plays investigative journalist Eddie Brock in which Marvel Comics superhero film released in October?
- The 2018 Eurovision Song Contest was held in which city?
- Which company launched its rocket, the Falcon Heavy, on its maiden flight?
- Who were 2018 Love Island winners?
- Who presents Impossible?
- What was the most watched Netflix show in 2018?
- Which musician is retiring from touring after nearly 50 years?
- In which British city were two Russians poisoned?
- Which British political consulting firm closed after a scandal involving a Facebook data breach?
- The first scheduled direct flight from Australia to the UK happened in 2018, how long does it take?
- Who is fifth in line to the throne (born this year)?
- Selling 17m copies in the first two weeks, what is expected to be the best-selling video game of 2018?
- Fortnite Funk
Once everyone has got a few in them, crack out the Fornite Funk game. Fornite is still one of the most talked about games in 2018. And anyone that knows the game or of it, knows there are some very iconic and funny dances.
Put everyone’s names into one bowl, and in another put the names of the dances; pull out two names and a dance from the bowls and the two have to compete for votes on who does it best! You can find the Fornite Dances here
There are plenty of suggestions above to keep your guests entertained for the entire night! But what about food and drink? Keep it simple. You want either a simple, no fuss buffet or canapes to accompany drinks. Offer a speciality cocktail to keep costs low and/or encourage your guests to bring a beverage of choice.
- Dipped oranges in chocolate with a sprinkling of sea salt
- Flavoured straws- use pre-made pastry, roll it out, cut and twist into straws and sprinkle with grated parmesan, herbs and/or spices. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes and voila!
- Crisps and dips
- Pre-cut cheese and crackers
- Mini Yorkshires with a slice of roast beef, dollop of horseradish and garnish of rocket
- Puffs with camembert and cranberry
- Sandwich platters
- Mozzarella and tomato skewers
- Bruschetta with Parma ham, figs and sprinkling of mint and black pepper
Simple dishes you can make yourself or pre-order platters from the supermarkets (order now!). They’re actually really cost effective.
As for drinks, grab a couple of bottles of Prosecco to toast in the New Year, and/or give our speciality cocktails a try; they’re sure to be a hit!
We hope you enjoy the celebrations, whatever you do.