In the latest recipe from The Aubergine Cookbook (by Heather Thomas), we share the delicious aubergine fritters. Served with a salad, these would make for a great starter or accompanying side for your main meal or even the feature in your dinner party- simply make larger segments.
It’s another simple recipe from this amazing cookbook and Helen has even shared a top tip to help you make it in super quick time- be sure to check that out and her serving suggestions below.
Be sure to look out for our review of the cookbook next week and our competition to give a copy away!
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Salt: 30 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes.
- 2 large aubergines (eggplants)
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Olive oil for shallow frying
- Clear Greek honey, for drizzling
- Lemon wedges to serve
For the batter:
- 125g/4oz plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150ml/5 floz water
- a pinch of dried oregano
- Make the batter: Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and beat in the egg and olive oil with a little water. Gradually beat in the remaining water until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. Stir in the oregano. Alternatively, you can make it in a food processor by blending all the ingredients together. Transfer to a bowl and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Cut the stalk ends off the aubergines and discard. Cut the aubergines length-ways into 1cm thick slices. Place the slices in a large colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 minutes to exude their juice. Rinse under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place a large frying pan over a low to medium heat. Add enough olive oil to give a depth of 5mm. When it’s really hot, dip some aubergine slices into the batter and coat them all over and add to the pan in a single layer. Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp underneath, then turn them over and fry the other side. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm while you cook the remaining fritters in the same way.
- Serve the hot fritters sprinkled with sea salt and drizzled with honey, with some lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over.
- Add some courgette slices to the batter and fry with the aubergines
- Serve with skordalia (Greek garlic sauce), aioli, tzatziki or hummus.
- If you’re in a hurry, just dip the aubergine slices in seasoned flour and fry as above.