Do you get hair envy when you see someone with luscious waves? But think you hair is too fine? Too straight? Won’t hold the style? Find that your naturally wavy hair just looks like a matted mess? That’s where we come in! This is our how to guide to create those gorgeous catwalk trend, beach babe, natural looking, wavy locks.
The trick to making any hairstyle work, is the right products. It is possible to create the look using styling tools alone, such as straighteners or curlers, but it’ll likely fall flat. Also, without the right products it won’t look natural, which, let’s be honest, is what we want people to think.
Aveda’s Texture tonic is perfect for mastering the wave look. It contains Epsom salts to give the hair the texture and hold it needs, with added cane sugar to keep hair healthy. It will hold volume and texture until you wash it again. No top up required.
- Start off by towel drying your hair- pat the hair, don’t wring it!
- Add serum to the mid-lengths and ends to retain moisture and give it some heat protection
- Comb through the hair
- Spritz through the mid-lengths to ends with the texture tonic
- Give the hair a little scrunch.
If you have naturally wavy hair, you could leave your hair to dry naturally after following the above 4 steps. If you don’t like how it drys naturally, use a diffuser to structure the waves. This can create a lot of volume and waves so if you want a bit more control over the style, or your hair is naturally straight, follow Brauns top tips in creating Jessica Alba’s beach waves:
- Comb through hair to eliminate knots
- Section your hair- selecting a strand about 4cm in width
- Using your warmed up straighteners (they recommend the Braun SensoCare Styler)- clamp the plates 5cm down the strand of the hair- you don’t want to start at the top
- With the straightener still clamped, rotate it 180 degrees towards your face, moving down the strand slowly
- Stop before reaching the end (about 4/5ths of the way)- this should create a slight curl
- Repeat this motion throughout the rest of the hair- alternate between towards your face and away from the face so that the curls don’t fall the same way- this will make the look more natural
- If you want to create waves, brush through your hair and finish with hairspray of your choice
- Blast your hair with the cool setting on your hairdryer to set the look.
Flyaways? Use a pump or two of TIGI Bed Head After Party, rub together in your hands and smooth through your hair. If you’ve used texturizing products, this won’t weigh down your hair it’s just a finishing touch!
Love this? You’ll love our other hair and beauty tips! Check some of the most popular reads below…