It may sound cliche but chicken soup really does work wonders.
Not only is it soothing and calming but it really does have medicinal properties that can banish colds thanks to the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties garlic, onion and celery. And all the other hearty ingredients play a part in making/keeping us well too; potatoes and peas are high in fibre and vital vitamin C and A, carrots in addition to this provide us with B8 (which helps the body keep normal function) and chestnut mushrooms are ample in vitamin B5 which aids with respiratory function and potassium to build muscle strength.
Homemade is especially beneficial as you can ensure and vet what goes into your dish to ensure you get the best from it. Make ample amounts to keep in the freeze for when necessity arises!
Total time: 1hr.
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil/rapeseed oil
- 4 medium/large carrots- peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves- peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sized onion- peeled and diced
- 1 bunch of celery hearts- washed and diced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1.5l of chicken stock
- 6 medium sized potatoes (we love the Sainsbury’s Vivaldi potatoes)- peeled and cut into 1cm chunks or smaller
- 5 brown chestnut mushrooms- washed and diced
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts- chopped into 1cm chunks
- bowl full of fresh or frozen garden peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of parsley- washed and diced
- 8 sprigs of chives- washed and diced
- Heat the olive/rapeseed oil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the pan with a teaspoon of cumin. Fry off for 5 minutes until soft (not brown), stirring frequently.
- Add in the chicken stock (premade) and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and add the potatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the chicken, peas, mushrooms, parsley and chives and cook for a further 20 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste, divide in bowls and garnish with any leftover chives, serve with toasted soda bread.
Top tip: You can add any vegetable to the mix- if it’s root vegetables you’d like to include, add at stage 1. If you’re wanting to add softer veggies, stir them in with stage 4. Best served as chunky chicken soup but if you’d prefer could be blended.