Life assurances: what are you covered for?

Posted on Feb 23 2015 - 11:34am by Samantha Clark

It’s always hard to consider the future let alone considering something going wrong in the future. It’s inapprehensible! But what if it did? We’re not necessarily able to have enough in savings to ensure we’re covered for every eventuality, particularly if something serious happened. Insurances give us that piece of mind that if something did go wrong at least we know there are measures in place and our wishes can be carried out. Of course having assurances in place can be a costly affair, costing hundreds of pounds per household per year.

There is an extensive amount of assurance products out there but how can you tell what you is right for you and what it is you need? Unfortunately there is no simple solution- it’s about conducting research, looking at the various sources of information on the web, using impartial representation such as broker/financial advisor to do the searching for you, contact with insurance companies/solicitors directly and/or relying on friends and acquaintances who might deal in specific avenues of insurance/wills. We also have to succomb to the fact that, in the case of most policies, we pay quite a bit of money for insurances but see no immediate benefit except a depletion in our monthly earnings.

Policies available: 

  • Home insurance– contents only for those renting, builder and content for those that own
  • Car insurance– must have by law basic policy is third party
  • Pet insurance– it is ideal to have if you have pets (The Telegraph reports that a dog injured in a road traffic accident can cost £674 and £300 for a cat with more serious conditions costing £4,000)
  • Holiday insurance– covers a number of things and can include breaks in the UK. More essential for European or International holidays which will cover you on cancelled flights, severe weather conditions and can aid in treatment abroad should you fall ill.
  • Life insurance– payouts when you die to loved ones/cover large debts (mortgage companies usually insist you have one) but can also cover you in cases of serious illnesses as well with payouts on diagnosis. Look to for further advice.
  • Wills– are ideal to express your wishes for your finances and assets and how children will be cared for. You can find out more on Money Advice Service about what happens if you don’t have a will in place upon your death. There are also some common questions explored on The Will Site. Wills are ONLY implemented in the event of your death, you may also want to consider;
  • Power of Attorney– setting up a Power of Attorney means that you’ve nominated an attorney to handle your affairs (assets, finances and in some circumstances determine your wellbeing) when you’re no longer able to make or communicate decisions yourself. See for more information. If you do not have a power of attorney in place when you lose mental capacity, a process to act on your behalf can be lengthy and costly for your friends and relatives. Moreover, you’re unable to nominate someone you trust to make the decisions on your behalf.

But the above is just a taster of the policies available, the offerings under each policy will require much thought and consideration in determining what is right for you and your loved ones.

We had a chat with Becky O’Rourke of Asset Harbour who talked with us about Vitality Life the NEW insurance policies that reward you for being healthy and gives you many perks that you can take advantage of the minute you set the policy(ies) up. We asked some of the most common questions about life insurances and wills.

*Note: Asset Harbour deal specifically with Vitality Life, Serious Illness and Income Protection Cover, they also specialise in Wills and Trusts. If you are seeking a broader overview of policies available it is recommended that you make an appointment with a trusted financial advisor.

Why set up a life/serious illness insurance policy?

We all like to plan for the future: buying a house, a car or simply putting money away for a rainy day. Taking out life cover and/or serious illness cover is simply planning for the things that you don’t see coming.

What is the difference between life insurance, serious illness insurance and income protection?

These are our 3 core covers; you can have 1, 2 or all 3 as part of your personal protection plan;

Life cover pays a cash lump sum to your family or other nominated person upon your death while you are covered. With Vitality it also pays a cash lump sum if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Serious illness cover pays a cash lump sum if you are diagnosed with a condition that we cover, and because vitality covers more conditions (166 conditions covered) than typical critical illness policies, you are more likely to get a pay-out. Vitality also pays out on the severity of the condition, so you can get paid part of your cover amount and still have a remaining amount.

Income protection cover will pay a monthly income if you become ill, injured or disabled and cannot work.

How much insurance is needed?

This depends on an individual’s circumstances, we will assess their need for insurance and create a policy which best suits them; whether it be to ensure that a mortgage is paid off or to leave a lump sum to their loved ones, Vitality is extremely diverse in the way that it can be tailored.

I already have an insurance policy am I able to switch providers?

Off course, but I would always check with your current provider first. Many people find that there life cover isn’t doing what they need it to do, for instance if you took life insurance to cover a mortgage but have since moved house or borrowed more and did not renew their cover it is very likely that you do not have enough cover in place- it is always advisable to have your policies reviewed when circumstances change.

If I have an insurance policy in place do I still need a Will?

Yes, a will is your last wishes and can ensure that what you leave behind goes where and when you want it to. Without a Will means you die intestate, estranged partners may lay claim to your assets, your children may be put into care or you could leave your loved ones in financial difficulty.

If you’d like to discuss life insurance policies with Asset Harbour South West about the Vitality offering, you can contact them on Facebook, email: or call: 08009800766.

33 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

  1. Your way of describing everything in this piece of writing is really fastidious, every one be capable of simply understand it,
    Thanks a lot.

  2. togel 12th June 2018 at 11:03 pm -

    Fantastic goods from you, man. I have have in mind your stuff prior to and you are just extremely great.
    I actually like what you have got right here, certainly like what you
    are saying and the way in which you are saying it. You make
    it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it wise.
    I can’t wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a terrific

  3. 10th June 2018 at 4:43 pm -

    I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and entertaining, and let
    me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The issue is something not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy that I found this during
    my search for something regarding this.

  4. Golden Goose Deluxe Brand 4th June 2018 at 8:41 pm -

    hi!,I like your writing so much! share we communicate extra about your article on AOL?
    I need an expert on this area to unravel my problem. May be that’s you!

    Looking forward to see you.

  5. kollagen intensiv 3rd June 2018 at 5:07 am -

    I ordered Revived Youth eye serum and face cream.

  6. Angeles 2nd June 2018 at 8:54 am -

    Greetings from Colorado! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch
    break. I really like the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.

    I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile ..

    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, fantastic site!

  7. Samantha Clark 30th May 2018 at 11:10 am -

    Thank you 🙂 xx

  8. بعد از 5 ثانیه کلیک کنید 29th May 2018 at 6:29 pm -

    I got what you intend, appreciate it for putting up. Woh I am lucky
    to find this website through google.

  9. Flagship GGDB 27th May 2018 at 1:03 pm -

    Outstanding post, I think website owners should
    learn a lot from this site its very user pleasant.
    So much good info on here :D.

  10. 25th May 2018 at 9:44 pm -

    Hello! I’ve been following your blog for a long time now and finally
    got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out
    from New Caney Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the
    good work!

  11. Reps Ray Ban Aviator 23rd May 2018 at 4:40 pm -

    Hi, just wanted to say, I liked this blog post.
    It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

  12. french open live 21st May 2018 at 4:12 pm -

    It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this wonderful post to
    improve my know-how.

  13. jasa backlink pbn 19th May 2018 at 2:40 pm -

    I l᧐ve your blog.. very nice cоlors & theme. Ⅾіd you design thks website
    yourself or did you hіre sоmeone to do it for you?
    Plz respond as I’m ⅼoⲟking to create my own bloɡ and
    would like to knjow wherе u got thiss from. kսdos

  14. custom graphic tees for men 19th May 2018 at 1:56 pm -

    Usefuⅼ info. Fօrtunate me I ⅾiscоvered your site by chance, and I’m stunned
    why this accident diԀ not came about in advance! Ӏ bookmarkеd it.

  15. 17th May 2018 at 6:54 am -

    I have been exploring for a bit for any hiցh-qualіty articles or blog posts in this kind of area .

    Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web
    site. Reading this informatіon So i’m satisfied to express thɑt I
    have aan incredibly good uncanny feeling I discoveгed exactly what I needed.

    I ssuch a lot no ɗoubt will make certain to do not forget this ѡebsite and give it a look regularly.

  16. graphic tees for women 17th May 2018 at 6:40 am -

    I һave beеn browsing onlinbe more tһan 3 hourѕ today, yet I never found ɑny interesting article like youгs.
    It’s pretty worth enough for me. Pеrsonally, iif all website owners and bloggers made good content аs you did, thе web will be a
    lot more սseful than ever before.

  17. graphic tees for women 17th May 2018 at 5:41 am -

    I am sure this artіcle has touched all the internet vіsitors,
    its really really good paragraph on building up new blog.

  18. 17th May 2018 at 5:40 am -

    Hi, І do believе this is a great website.
    I stumblеdupon it 😉 I ill come bɑck once again since i have saved as a favorite
    it. Mߋney annd freedom is the greatest wɑy to chɑnge, may you be
    rіch and continue to help others.

  19. 3rd May 2018 at 4:50 am -

    Wеlll boys,? Mommy finally said after theyd provide
    you with a number off foolkisһ ideaѕ of what God ɗid for enjoyable, ?What God actᥙally lⅼikes is when flks love each other and hndle each other like we do
    in our family.? That made sernse to Leeе and Larry sso Lee huɡeԁ Mommy and Larry
    hugged daddy to just make Goⅾ happy.

  20. blogging systems 16th March 2015 at 10:36 am -

    When I ihitially left a comment I appear too have
    clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and noww every time a comment iis added I
    reciece 4 eemails with tthe exact same comment. Perhaps there is an easy
    method you are able to removee me from that service? Thank you!

Leave A Response