An ombre/gradient style is an effortless way to up your manicure game. It’s a look that gives us series summer vibes. We won’t lie, it takes a bit of practice to get the right consistency but its worth the perseverance. We share our tips to recreating it below.
You will need:
- Nail varnish remover
- Base coat- clear
- Top coat- clear
- Cuticle sticks
- Make-up sponge – it needs to be the wedge sponges to work. The flat ones do not hold the colour and ends up all over your finger.
- Nail colours of your choice
- Whatever look you’re trying to create, always ensure that the nail is clean, the cuticles are pushed down and that you apply a base coat to protect the nail.
- Following this, apply a base colour for consistency. We’d recommend picking the lighter of the 2 colours you’re working with.
- Next, apply directly onto the sponge, your chosen colours in a straight line, one after the other. Dab the nail with the sponge.
- Repeat step 3, 2-3 times for coverage, consistency and a deeper colour. Allow a few minutes between each coat.
- Once applied, allow a minute or two to set and then apply a topcoat to create a shine. This will also remove the apparent bumps caused by the sponge.
Finish by applying a little nail varnish remover to a cuticle stick and tidy around the edges.
Top tip: If you struggle to get the gradient you require, use a 3rd colour to create a line within. This is what we did for our mermaid ombre nails.
Give our looks a try….
Ombre Pink Passion
Some of the links within this post will direct you to an affiliate partner and we may make a very small commission on any purchases you make through them. We’re a small team at AGL and advertising and commissions is how we fund the publication. We don’t have an active sales team and so are also asking for donations. As little as £1 can make an enormous difference to our operations. If you’re happy to donate £1, there is a link in our sidebar for you to donate via PayPal. This helps to fund the publication and allow us to have free articles.