Uncontrollable breakouts, changes in your skins behaviour, wanting to try new products? Perhaps it’s time you considered skin fasting. Skin fasting, which entails taking a break from cosmetics and skincare for 3 weeks, isn’t a new concept; Dr Terry, an integrative skin doctor talks to us about this rejuvenating concept.
Under what circumstances should we consider a product and makeup detox?
Skin fasting gives the skin a chance to reset and encourage it’s own healing and hydrating ability. When we use cosmetics/make up constantly, the skin becomes lazy and loses this natural ability. We should be encouraging our skin to work by itself from time to time.
I would recommend taking a break under the following circumstances:
- When the skin is breaking out and you’re unsure if it’s the products making it worst
- When the skin is feeling sensitive and you’re unsure if it’s the products making it worst
- Before you start a new routine
- And even with the changing of season when your skin goes through a natural change
What does detoxing entail- does it really mean stopping ALL products? How long do we do it for?
For the best results, I’d recommend following the routine I’ve outlined below. It’s reducing your product use down to three key products and a cleanser: an anti-oxidant serum, an SPF sunscreen and an anti-aging serum. This should be followed for 3 weeks.
- Rinse your skin with lukewarm water
- Anti-oxidant Serum
- Sunscreen with SPF
- Cleanse the skin with gentle cleanser
- Finish with a gentle Anti-aging serum
How can we get the most benefit out of fasting?
In addition to the above routine, follow the below advice to get the best results for your skin and overall health through skin fasting:
- Increase water consumption to 3L/ day to flush out toxins
- Increase your green vegetable intake
- Take a digestive enzyme before each meal to increase digestion and absorption of nutrients
- Move everyday – even just doing 20 jumping jacks to get the blood circulating
- Practice positive skin psychology – speaking nicely to your skin when you look in the mirror and when you’re washing/ applying products on your skin. It has been shown to enhance the skin’s repair process
- Avoid using any foundation/ concealer on your skin
How is it best to reintroduce products after a detox?
After 3 weeks, restart one new product at a time. Use it for 3 days before adding another product into the mix. 3 days is a good enough time to see if your skin reacts to it. The important thing about skincare is to really understand your skin and how it responds to products, food, environment, stress etc. The better you know your skin, the better decisions you will make for it.